Capacity Planning is the “C” in CPT. CPT provides tailored services to suit the client requirements, and we distinguish ourselves by delivering “Business Focused” capacity planning. Our plans and reports are aligned to the clients’ business objectives, and produced in a format and language that is easily understood by business stakeholders.
CPT provides our clients with a flexible service delivery model to ensure that the outcomes are “fit for purpose” to meet the individual requirements of our clients’ environment.
Our key Capacity Planning service offerings include:
- Capacity Assessments
- Capacity Plans (Baseline / Annual / Periodic Review)
- Capacity Impact Assessments
- “Health Check” assessments
- Ad-hoc / on demand services
- Capacity Management Information System (CMIS) proprietary solution
- Capacity Planning as a Managed Service
Capacity management is the process of proactively planning and managing your IT needs in a way that will effectively balance resource cost and system performance. Capacity management and planning help ensure that optimum capacity is available at the right time and the right cost.
Effective capacity management must consider business drivers to accurately project and manage hardware provisioning requirements, performance and processing costs.
The CPT approach ensures business involvement at the earliest stages of capacity planning. New business initiatives or increased volumes of existing initiatives are critical inputs to this process.
An emphasis on business processing, availability, and the achieving of service objectives is promoted through all phases of capacity planning.
CPT provides consulting services in all aspects of capacity management, from capacity assessment exercises, including the establishment of processes for data collection and capacity reporting, through to establishment and operation of capacity management and service level management processes.
Capability Maturity Assessments
CPT’s Capability Maturity Assessments are quite often the first engagement between CPT and our clients in the Capacity Planning space.
The assessment is typically conducted over a period of 2 – 4 weeks depending on the scope and complexity of the client environment. The assessment is conducted as a “Fact Based” exercise looking to review evidence of the capability through a process of interview / workshops and artefact review.
During the assessment CPT will look to:
- understand the current level of capability maturity
- understand what is working well and where there are gaps
- finalise the scope of the capacity planning solution and validate the availability of system metrics, and the existence and availability of business metrics
- understand the desired level of maturity, and determine the desired timeframe in which to implement the solution
- tailor a solution that will meet the clients requirements in terms of: outcomes, cost, implementation timeframe and ongoing requirements
From the Capability Maturity Assessment, CPT will deliver:
- The Capacity Capability Assessment report which includes findings, recommendations and an overall assessment aligned to the ITIL framework.
- The Assessment report which includes a Roadmap to address the recommendations and the activities that are necessary to take the capability from the current state to the desired end state, in a client advised acceptable timeframe.
- A Capacity Management Framework, provided as part of the Assessment outcome, and tailored to suit the client environment.
CPT can either deliver the Capability Maturity Assessment as a standalone engagement, or could combine the assessment in a broader group of activities, which may or may not include the creation of Capacity Plans.
In a Managed Service engagement, CPT would deliver the Capability Maturity Assessment as a component of the Managed Service.
Capacity Plans (Baseline / Annual / Periodic Review)
The capacity plan is an investment in management information that will provide valuable data for hardware purchase decisions (or postponements), assist in setting application development priorities and will often be the driver behind system or application performance tuning initiatives.
By merging the business and system metrics, CPT is able to develop projections of service / application usage over time. This provides a schedule that aligns business requirements and strategies, and projects IT capacity planning requirements in business terms.
The Capacity Plan:
- Typically this is the first Capacity Plan for an application, infrastructure platform or business service, which forms the basis on which the subsequent capacity reviews and plans are based on.
- It is a current state view of capacity and performance, but also provides a business focussed forecast of capacity for 12 months based on historical resource consumption and trends, correlated with historical and predicted application volumes and business initiatives.
- The plan can be at the application, infrastructure platform or business service level.
- The plan will highlight key findings, issues, risks and recommendations to ensure there is sufficient capacity to meet the business objectives for the next 12 months.
- A concise report that tracks “Actuals” against “Forecasts” and validates assumptions. The report will show revised forecasts and recommendations to mitigate risks in the forecast period.
- Will be reviewed periodically, usually on a quarterly basis.
Capacity Impact Assessments
- Assess the impact of changed workloads, new initiatives, new projects and changing business volumes on the capacity and performance of an application, infrastructure platform or business service.
- A concise report highlighting all key finding, issues and risks. Provides recommendations to mitigate identified risks.
Health Check Assessments
- A detailed review of capacity and performance for an application and associated infrastructure based on available metrics and key stakeholder interviews.
- A report is produced to summarise the general health of an application together with recommendations to remediate issues.
- Typically this is the first interim activity delivered prior to a more detailed Capacity Baseline.
Ad-hoc / On-Demand Services
- Expert Capacity Planning services to meet specific client needs on an ‘as required’ basis.
Capacity Planning As A Managed Service
- CPT provides consulting services in all aspects of capacity management, from capacity assessment exercises, including the establishment of processes for data collection and capacity reporting, through to establishment and operation of capacity management and service level management processes.
- CPT currently provides a variety of Capacity Planning solutions to our clients, some have been continuously active for over 10 years.
- CPT would be more than happy to tailor a solution to suit your needs combining one or more of the above Capacity Planning Service components.