DevOps is a term used to refer to a set of practices that emphasize the collaboration and communication of both software developers and information technology professionals while automating the process of software delivery and infrastructure changes. It aims at establishing a culture and environment where building, testing, and releasing software can happen rapidly, frequently, and more reliably.
The practice of DevOps spans culture, people, process, and tools, and solution requirements vary widely across organisations. Regardless of the specific software delivery and operations monitoring processes and tools in your organisation, the key goal of DevOps remains the same; To shift to high velocity collaborative culture, where process and tools are integrated and automated to improve the speed and reliability of delivery.
DevOps Integrates and Automates
- Integrated Development Environments
- Source Code Management
- Build Management
- Code Quality & Analytics
- Test Management
- Test Automation
- Data Management & Virtualisation
- Defect / Issue Management
- Service Virtualisation
- Automated Deployment/ Configuration
- Infrastructure Containerisation
- Operational Monitoring
- Customer Experience Monitoring
- Reporting Tools
DevOps Principles & Goals
- Code changes are automatically quality checked when they are made (Test Driven Deployment).
- Code changes are promoted through a hierarchy of test environments that increase in scope from individual components or applications to platforms and integrated systems into production, if and only if they pass automated quality checks
- code changes are delivered using the same process to build, package and deploy in each environment, by leveraging reusable environment definitions (templates) which expand in scope as we move towards production
- Testing is automated and invoked when code changes are made, providing quality feedback as soon as possible
- Release automation and containerisation tools are used to automate build, package, deploy and integrate automated quality assessment to enhance reliability and speed
- Customer Experience (CX) and Operational Monitoring tools and analytics are used in operation to gather data that informs the next round of changes
DevOps for the Mainframe
Traditionally, mainframe delivery has run on a slower cadence than customer facing applications, often with quarterly or even bi-annual release cycles. However, as organisations embrace digital transformation, new demands are being placed on mainframe systems and application delivery.
CPT, working with our partners, can help your organisation extend Agile and DevOps programs to the mainframe, allowing you to deliver changes faster with improved quality and a reduction in outages and failed deployments.
DevOps Capability Assessment and Uplift
DevOps implementations are challenging, but they bring tremendous benefits. CPT has both the skilled experts and world class software tool partners to help you define and implement the right DevOps program for your organisation. We can assist with
- DevOps Capability Assessment and Uplift Strategy
- Test Automation
- Test Data Masking and Data Virtualization for DevOps
- Environment Management
- Release and Deployment Automation
- Agile Delivery and Coaching
CPT offers both DevOps consulting and implementation services. Specifically we can
- Conduct DevOps Capability Maturity Assessments to reviews your existing DevOps Capability and create a roadmap for capability uplift
- Provide clients with a Mainframe DevOps implementation Roadmap for extending their DevOps and Agile programs to the Mainframe
- Implement part or all of a DevOps capability uplift program