RPA - Over promising and under delivering
Gartner has identified Robotic Process Automation (RPA) as the fastest growing enterprise software category with growth over 60% in 2018. CPT Global has partnered with UIPath who sits in first place in the 2019 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Robotic Process Automation Software. UIPath have witnessed a 600% year on year uptake of their products, in line with other leading RPA providers.
However, according to Ernst & Young, who have themselves undertaken a massive RPA program, 30-50% of RPA projects fail. The most common reasons for failure:
- Undertaking projects that are too ambitious for an organisation to deliver
- Underestimating process complexity and the fact that people execute processes differently
- RPA robots interact with changing systems, and robots need to be able to accommodate these changes
CPT has learned through experience that there are several key success factors for RPA:
- Start small and grow to scale organically developing an internal capability on the way.
- Leverage RPA as a component of an automation toolkit.
- Define the desired outcomes and determine if RPA robots are actually the solution – don’t deploy robots for the sake of it.
- Understand the ecosystem that the robots will work in and automate parts of processes where it makes sense.
- Ask staff where they think the most benefit from RPA will be gained as they are the ones who understand the processes. Make staff a fundamental part of the solution.
CPT are a client-sided IT consultancy with a growing RPA practice. We act as client advocates effectively working as members of our client’s organisations with our client’s interest as our highest priority. Our pragmatic approach to RPA is our point of difference. CPT has provided consulting and delivery services to clients in 35 countries around the world. We’ve helped customers improve their IT delivery, speed and capability in a multitude of industries across the full technology stack.
Please contact CPT for more information on how we can help you on your Robotic Process Automation journey.
Related service: rpa